A Beginner's Guide to Coding on iPads and iPhonesProduct Code: 1949
The beginner's guide to coding on iPad and iPhones book is aimed at complete beginners of any age from children to grandparents! It is written in plain English and avoids technical jargon wherever possible. It will quickly and easily introduce you to coding and is specifically written for use with iPads and iPhones.
Coding or writing your own computer programs is considered a huge help in understanding computers and is now a compulsory part of the National Curriculum in English schools. It can be a path to a rewarding career or a stimulating hobby which helps develop thinking, planning and problem solving skills. Tablet computers and smartphones allow you to easily practice your programming skills anywhere.
Among the many topics covered are:
- The functions of the main components of a computer such as memory, storage and processor
- The need for a high level language, such as Python, to write instructions which can be interpreted and executed by the computer
- Programs as sets of instructions, collectively known as software
- Installing the free and widely used Pythonista app and starting to write short instructions or code in interactive mode
- Understanding the various types of data such as numbers and strings of keyboard characters
- Using the Pythonista Editor to write, save and execute programs
- Writing longer code or scripts involving major program features such as decisions, branching and repetition
- Importing into your programs ready-made blocks of code known as modules and functions and writing your own functions
- Transferring your Python programs between work, school, college or home so you can carry on coding wherever you are also easily share your ideas
A Babani Computer Guidebook by Jim Gatenby