Qwiic Mini dToF Imager - TMF8820
£14.99 ex VAT
The SparkFun Qwiic Mini dToF TMF8820 Imager is a direct time-of-flight (dToF) sensor that includes a single modular package with an associated Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser (VCSEL) from AMS. The dToF device is based on a Single Photon Avalanche Photodiode (SPAD), time-to-digital converter (TDC) and histogram technology to achieve a 5000mm detection range. Due to its lens on the SPAD, it supports 3x3 multizone output data and a very wide, dynamically adjustable field of view. A multi-lens array (MLA) inside the package above the VCSEL widens up the FoI (field of illumination). All processing of the raw data is performed on-chip and the TMF8820 provides distance information together with confidence values on its I2C interface. The high performance on-chip optical filter blocks most of the ambient light and enables distance measurements in dark and sunlight environments.
To make it even easier to get your readings, all communication is enacted exclusively via I2C, utilizing the handy Qwiic system so no soldering is required to connect it to the rest of your system. However, we still have broken out 0.1”-spaced pins in case you prefer to use a breadboard. The TMF8820 offers two configurable GPIO pins and one enable (EN) pin, which is broken out as PTH pads. The board also includes a power LED and I2C pull-up resistors, each configurable via jumpers. This Mini version has a footprint that is half the size (0.5in. x 1.0in.) of our standard Qwiic Mini dToF TMF8820 Imager board. Additionally, SparkFun moved the Qwiic connectors to the back of the board. These design changes favour mounting applications where the TMF8820 sensor faces outward from an enclosure or chassis and keeps your Qwiic cables cleanly tucked away.
This sensor is great for projects such as distance measurement for camera autofocus - Laser Detect Autofocus - LDAF (mobile phone), presence detection (computing and communication), object detection and collision avoidance (robotics), and light curtain (industrial).
- CLASS 1 LASER PRODUCT CLASSIFIED IEC 60825-1 2014.
- A microcontroller with enough flash to run your program code is recommended. Uno's or any other development board using the ATmega328P are incompatible.
- Operating Voltage
- 2.7V to 3.6V
- (typically 3.3V via Qwiic cable)
- Current Consumption
- 8µA (standby)
- 57mA (active)
- AMS TMF8821 Multi-zone Time-of-Flight Sensor
- Direct ToF technology with high sensitivity SPAD detection
- 3x3 configurable multi-zone configuration with multi-object detection
- Fast Time-to-Digital Converter (TDC) architecture
- Sub-nanosecond light pulse
- On-chip histogram processing
- High performance on-chip sunlight rejection filter and algorithm
- Measurement Range: 10mm to 5000mm @ 30Hz
- Light Source: Class 1 940nm VCSEL
- Field of View: adjustable up to 63° diagonally
- Max Read Rate: up to 30Hz
- 2x Qwiic Connectors
- I2C Address: 0x41
- Operating Temperature Range
- -30°C to +70°C
- Breakout Pads
- 1x Ground
- 1x Power
- 1x I2C Port
- 1x Interrupt
- 2x GPIO
- 1x Enable
- Power LED (configurable via jumper)
- I2C pull-ups (configurable via jumper)
- Board Dimensions: 0.5" x 1.0" (1.27cm x 2.54cm)