Solar Torch Kit
£3.34 ex VAT
The Kitronik Solar Torch Kit is a through-hole soldering kit that has been developed for use in KS3 Design and Technology lessons. The project kit has been designed so that even teachers with limited knowledge of electronics should have no trouble using it as a basis from which they can form a scheme of work. There is full documentation available in the resources section towards the bottom of this page, which covers everything from the theory to the construction.
The kit can be used in two ways. Either on its own as a way of introducing electronics and electronic construction to students over a number of lessons. Or, as part of a larger project involving all aspects of product design, such as designing an enclosure for the electronics to fit into. It can also be used as a teaching aid when tackling subjects such as renewable energy.
Once built, you can think of the torch's circuit as having two sections. The first section is the energy storage section and the second is the energy usage section. The sun's energy is converted to electricity by the solar cell and is then stored in the two capacitors. The diode protects the solar cell from power being discharged back into it. The switch joins the two sections of the circuit together and when engaged allows the capacitors to discharge into the LED. Five minutes of charging in strong sunlight should result in 5 - 10 minutes of LED illumination.
The PCB has been designed to allow the solar torch kit to be put onto a keyring so that your built torch can go wherever you go. The kit comes with sticky pads that allow you to fix the solar cells to the completed board. There are also 4 M3 mounting holes, one at each corner of the PCB, to make for more sturdy enclosure designs.
- Learn about soldering, electronics, and renewable energy with one kit.
- The completed kit can be carried on your keyring.
- The PCB has mounting holes for secure fixing.
- The kit can be used as a way of introducing electronics and electronic construction to students over a number of lessons, or, as part of a larger project involving all aspects of product design, such as designing an enclosure for the electronics to fit into.
- Dimensions: 62 x 30 x 18mm
- 1 x BAT41 Signal Diode.
- 2 x Electrolytic Super Capacitors, 2.7V 6.3mm diameter.
- 1 x White 5mm Water Clear LED - 25deg - 2250mCd.
- 1 x 150R CR25 0.25W carbon film resistor with 5% tolerance.
- 1 x Flat Profile Tact Switch.
- 1 x Solar Cell.
- 1 x Sticky Fixers Strip.
- A Solar Torch Kit PCB.